Tuesday 22 May 2012

D'relle Khan: The Interview


For years I've watched in wonder the legend that is D'relle Khan. I've been entertained many a time in the club trying (and failing) to copy the way he dances. His confident professional dance moves have been lighting up the stage (and the club) for many years! I was so happy when he agreed to answer my 10 questions. He was born and raised in east London (like me) and is now happily engaged. Without further adieu (or preramble) here's D'relle's 10 questions


What is your background?

 I was born and raised in East London. For the years I did live at home I was raised by my mother, step dad and grandparents.

Have you always wanted to be a dancer?

Yes! I had a lot to say but wasn’t always confident. Dance was my way of making people listen. 

How did you go about learning your craft?

I studied different techniques and styles from street to ballet and various choreographers who I was interested in such as Bob Fosse (Chicago,Sweet Charity) and developed me.

Have you faced any discrimination in your career?

I wouldn’t say I faced any for being black but I was bullied severely for being gay. i've been stabbed and beaten. Though that hasn't ruined my sense of freedom in my career. I'm lucky to not only have the opportunity to express myself but to help others develop and express themselves too.




What has been the highlight of your career so far?

I would say the World Music Awards. Working with Chris Brown and Lavelle Smith Jr (world renowned choreographer), meeting the Late and great Michael Jackson, Beyonce and so many more amazing artists.

 If you couldn't dance, what would you do instead?
  
I would definitely work in the creative field or helping people in some way. As well as dancing, I was working for the NSPCC (Child abuse Charity).

What are your current projects?

I am choreographing for a lot of the major groups around the UK,
Just finished filming with video with Jessie J and Little boots.

 
Any future events we should look out for?

 Planning an event with a major company combining all aspects of UK Talent all under one roof. Working with some more artists and developing more dancers, models and artists.

  
Do you teach?

At the moment i'm only working with different companies as well as my own and a few master classes in and around London.

And finally, what do you think is the biggest issue facing gay people of colour?

Acceptance within our own community and from our families. It seems that being gay and of colour the issues we face are magnified and rather than have support because of our choices, we are often mistreated.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment